This is my version of the classic Mexican breakfast, Huevos Rancheros. If you haven’t heard of it before, it’s basically a bowl full of tasty, fiery goodness. It makes the perfect weekend breakfast or post training brunch.
You will need:
– 1 tin of borlotti beans (drained)
– 1 handful of coriander (chopped)
– 1 red chili (de-seeded and chopped)
– 1 tin chopped tomatoes
– 1 red onion (chopped)
– 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
– 2 handfuls of kale
– 4 eggs
– 1 avocado (optional)
– 2 wholemeal tortilla wraps (optional)
– 1 handful asparagus (chopped)
– 1 red pepper (chopped)
– 1 lime
– Coconut oil
– Add a little coconut oil to a large frying pan and allow it to melt on a medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic and chili and saute until they begin to soften.
– Next, add the red pepper, kale and asparagus and cook until they begin to soften. While the vegetables are cooking, turn the grill on.
– Add the borlotti beans and chopped tomatoes and then turn the heat down slightly. Leave to simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
– Cut the wraps in to triangle tortilla crisp shapes and place on a baking tray under the grill for about 2 minutes each side, basically until they crisp up. This can happen pretty quickly though so keep your eye on them!
– Once the tortilla chips are done, add the coriander to the frying pan along with the juice of the lime. Then, crack the eggs into the pan on top of the bean mix and place the frying pan under the grill until the eggs are cooked. They should resemble fried eggs. It’s up to you whether you want to leave them runny or not.
– Once cooked, dish up in to bowls and top with avocado. Dip in your tortilla chips and enjoy!
Tag me in your Huevos Rancheros creations using #hannahshappypace on Twitter @HannahBryan91 or @Hbryan91 on Instagram
If you follow me on Instagram or Snapchat you’ll know just how often I eat egg scrambles – I love them!
Not only are they super tasty but they’re also seriously nutritious and a great way to brighten up your breakfast.
Here are just some of the reasons why you should consider whipping up a scramble for breakfast…
- Eggs are an inexpensive protein source which will help you to feel fuller for longer. The egg white is also full of minerals including zinc, vitamin D and vitamin B12.
- If you’re following a low carb plan or opting for a low carb breakfast on a rest day for example, then an egg scramble is perfect.
- You can add anything! Egg scrambles are a fantastic way to get your vegetables in early and therefore make a highly nutritious breakfast, packed full of fibre and vitamins.
- They’re easy and quick to make with very little washing up!
- You can turn it in to a breakfast burrito for a delicious post workout meal of a balance of carbs, protein and fats.
I could go on and on but instead I’ll let you rustle one up for yourself.
You will need:
– 1 tsp coconut oil
– 2 eggs (for 1 person)
– ALL the veggies! Throw anything in! Some of my favourites include asparagus, kale, leeks and sundried tomatoes.
– Cracked black pepper for seasoning and a dollop of Meridian’s PB to finish – optional but highly recommended!
– On a medium to high heat, melt the coconut oil in a non stick frying pan.
– Roughly chop your chosen vegetables and add them to the pan to soften slightly.
– In a bowl, beat your eggs with a fork and then add them to the pan, stirring with a wooden spoon until cooked.
There you have it, an egg scramble rusted up in no more than 10 minutes!
What do you like to add to yours? Tweet me your creations @HannahBryan91 or tag me on Instagram using #Hannahshappypace
Egg scramble breakfast burrito topped with PB